Black Patent Eggplant
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 40 to 50 minutes
- 2 small to medium Prime Time eggplant, 3/4 to 1 pound each
with extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Prepare a medium-hot fire. Pierce eggplant 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife or 2 tined fork to allow steam to escape and prevent bursting.
- Set eggplant directly on grill and cook, turning occasionally, until skin is charred and blackened all over and eggplant is puffed out and very tender throughout when pierced with a knife, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- To serve, cut eggplant lengthwise in half. Eat like a baked potato, letting each guest mash eggplant in skin with olive oil, salt, and pepper.