Grilled Eggplant Spread
Serve this Middle Eastern speciality, baba ghanoush, with warm pita bread or crisp fresh vegetables for dipping. This can be stored, tightly covered, 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- 2 1-pound Prime Time eggplants
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Prepare a medium fire. Pierce eggplants 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape and prevent bursting. Place whole eggplant on an oiled grill and cook about 50 minutes, turning occasionally, until skin is charred and eggplant is puffed out and very tender through to center when pierced with a knife. When cool enough to handle, scoop eggplant pulp into medium bowl, discarding skin. Pour off any liquid and remove any large clusters of seeds.
- Gradually whisk olive oil into eggplant pulp. Stir in lemon juice, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne until well blended. Serve chilled, topped with chopped parsley and garnished with lemon wedges.