Chunky Clam & Bacon Dip with Pita Toast
Cook: 40 to 50 minutes
- 1/4 pound bacon (about 8 slices),
- chopped two 6 1/2 -ounce cans minced clams
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Prime Time red bell pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon drained bottle horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Tabasco to taste
Accompaniment: pita toasts or potato chips In a skillet cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
In a large sieve set over a bowl drain clams, reserving clam juice, and in another bowl whisk together cream cheese and sour cream. Whisk 2 tablespoons reserved clam juice into cream cheese mixture with clams, bacon, and remaining ingredients. Dip may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring dip to room temperature before serving.
Serve dip with toasts or chips.
MAKES 2 CUPS