Lamb Kebab in Pastry
- 1 LB. Boned, cubed lamb
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Prime Time green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Fresh mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons black cumin
- juice of two lemons
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth package phyllo dough
- 1 lb. Melted butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1. Melt butter in a saucepan , add meat stir for five minutes. Cover and cook over medium heat until the meat releases moisture and re-absorbs it.
- Add garlic and tomato paste. Cook stirring two minutes. Add tomatoes, peppers, onion, salt, pepper. Cover with water and cook covered for 15 minutes. Cook meat until it absorbs all liquid.
- Add parsley, mint and lemon juice. Cook stirring two minutes. Remove from heat. Cool set aside.
- Remove phyollo dough from package and cut stack into ten 5x5 squares of sheets.
- Layer eight 5x5 squares brushing each layer with melted butter. Place approximately 1/4 cup meat mixture in center.
- Fold in four edges overlapping each other like an envelope. Place each envelope seam-side down in a 1.5 quart open oval Casserole dish. Brush top with beaten egg.
- Cover the oven tray with a damp cloth to keep phollyo dough moist. Let stand for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake in pre-heated oven set to 450° for 8 minutes, lower heat to 350° and bake for another 20 minutes until each envelope becomes golden brown.
- Heat the saved meat broth and spoon over each envelope to soften the crust.
Serve as a main course with a salad.