Grilled Sausage & Pepper Hereos
Prep:10 minutes | Cook:10 to 15 minutes
- 2 cups pizza sauce, bottled or homemade
- 3 Prime Time green bell peppers
- 6 Italian sausages, hot or sweet
- 6 Italian or French rolls, split
- Prepare a hot fire. Set pizza sauce in a small saucepan on side of grill, and let warm. Grill whole bell peppers, turning frequently, until skin is charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from grill and enclose in a plastic bag until cool enough to handle, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove peppers from bag and peel away charred skin under cold running water. Remove stems and seeds, pat peppers dry, and cut into 1-inch strips.
- Meanwhile, slice down length of sausages without cutting all the way through to split them open. Prick casings several times with tines of a fork and place on an oiled grill set 4 to 6 inches from coals. Grill sausages, turning once or twice and basting often with some pizza sauce, until crusty brown outside with no trace of pink inside, 8 to 10 minutes.
- If space permits, while sausages are cooking, open rolls and toast cut side down on grill, 1 to 2 minutes. Otherwise, wrap in aluminum foil and set on grill, turning once or twice, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, place grilled sausage in a heated roll, heap on some pepper strips, and top with pizza sauce.