Bean-Thread Noodle & Vegetable
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Sherry
- 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound bean-thread (cellphone) noodles
- 1 1/2 pounds Napa cabbage (about Â½ medium head) 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 1 large Prime Time red bell pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot (about 3)
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted golden
- In a small saucepan stir together all dressing ingredients except sesame oil until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring dressing to a boil, stirring, and simmer, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Cool dressing completely and stir in sesame oil. Dressing may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- Discard mushroom stems and cut caps into thin slices. In a large non-stick skillet heat vegetable oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute mushrooms, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. On a platter chill mushrooms in one layer 15 minutes, or until cool.
- In a saucepan bring 6 cups of water to a boil and remove pan from heat. Stir in noodles and soak 15 minutes. Drain noodles well in colander and with scissors cut into 6-inch lengths.
- While noodles are soaking, cut cabbage crosswise into fine shreds and snow peas diagonally into slivers. Cut bell pepper into julienne strips.
- In a large bowl toss together noodles, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, scallions, and dressing. Serve salad sprinkled with sesame seeds.