Rice-Stick Noodle Salad with Vietnamese Shrimp
For the dough:
1/3 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 pound large shrimp ( 16 to 20 )
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 English cucumber
- 4 scallions
- 1/2 pound rice-stick noodles
- 1 cup fresh mint spings
- 1/2cup fresh coriander spings
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
In a bowl stir together all dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Chill dressing, covered 1 hour.
Shell and devein shrimp. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water cook shrimp with lemon 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. In a colander drain shrimp and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Halve shrimp lengthwise.
Halve cucumber lengthwise and seed. Cut cucumber halves and scallions crosswise into 2 1/2 inch pieces and cut pieces lengthwise into julienne strips.
- In a bowl soak noodles in hot water to cover 15 minutes to soften. While noodles are soaking, in a 6-quart kettle bring 3 1/2 quarts salted water to a boil. Drain noodles in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain noodles well and with scissors cut into 4-inch lengths.
- Divide noodles, shrimp, vegetables, and dressing among 4 bowls and sprinkle with herbs and peanuts. To eat, pull herbs from spings and toss with noodles.