Stuffed Prime Time Peppers with Beef, Rice and Vegetables
- 6 medium Prime Time Red Peppers
- 1/3 cup Prime Time Green Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut tops from Prime Time Red Peppers; remove seeds. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook peppers and tops in boiling water until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium heat; saute zucchini, yellow squash, onion and Prime Time Green Pepper until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add spinach and garlic; cook and stir until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in cooked beef, rice, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and salt.
- Place red peppers in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Fill with meat mixture. Bake with tops, covered, until peppers are tender, 35-40 minutes. Remove tops, top filling with provolone cheese; bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of www.tasteofhome.com